By Professor (Chair) Randy J Lapolla, Chenglong Huang
Qiang is a Tibeto-Burman language of southwest China, spoken by way of approximately 70,000 Qiang and Tibetan humans in northern Sichuan Province. This publication, the 1st book-length description of the Qiang language in English, contains not just the reference grammar, but in addition an ethnological assessment, numerous totally analyzed texts (mostly conventional tales) and an annotated word list. The language is verb ultimate, and agglutinative (prefixing and suffixing), with a truly advanced phonological procedure and either head-marking and established marking morphology. it will likely be of use to typologists, comparativists, Sino-Tibetanists, anthropologists, and linguists generally.
Read or Download A Grammar of Qiang: With Annotated Texts and Glossary PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
No matter if you don't like crossword puzzles, you could prove loving those. Designed for mother-tongue or thoroughly fluent audio system of German eager to increase their English abilities, the puzzles can also be exciting to English audio system. they're formatted in order that every one puzzle should be solved in 15 to half-hour.
Transcend Marhaba and upload hundreds of thousands of phrases and expressions in your Arabic vocabulary to speak very easily in Arabic, you would like quick access to numerous phrases and expressions. In perform Makes ideal: Arabic Vocabulary you get the instruments you must extend your lexicon and sharpen your talking and writing talents.
Even supposing there are lots of books that conceal German grammar and syntax, remarkably little glossy realization has been given to the sensible challenge of buying a German vocabulary. but build up or enlarging a uncomplicated vocabulary could be some of the most time-consuming and so much tricky projects for the coed, if he ways it through the normal approach to note lists or analyzing notes.
- Thai-English Student's Dictionary
- The Republic (Webster's German Thesaurus Edition)
- Pois nao: Brazilian Portuguese Course for Spanish Speakers, with Basic Reference Grammar
- Exercices de vocabulaire en contexte. Niveau debutant
Extra resources for A Grammar of Qiang: With Annotated Texts and Glossary
Liu 1984, Benedict 1983, Huang 1998). Only in Chinese loan words can the finals be said to be “original”. g. 3). )ﬂ Phonemically, consonant clusters are formed by /®/ followed by /p, t, k, q, t˚, b, d, g, m, d/, /x/ followed by /k, s, t˚, ®, t®, ¬, l, z, d, Â, dÂ/, or /≈/ followed by /q, s, ®, t®, ¬, l, d, z, n, d, ≤, Â, dÂ/. Phonetically the situation is more varied, as /®/ becomes [s] before /t/ and /d/, and becomes [˚] before /pi/, /pe/, /bi/, /t˚/ and /d/,12 and the preinitials all become voiced before voiced initials.
4) ph > π ± f: a. ˙- DIR + ph˙ Æblowﬂ > ˙π Æblow (imperative)ﬂ 32 The phonological system b. s˙ Ætreeﬂ + c. 5) kh > x: a. )ﬂ b. 8) b > w: a. t˙DIR DIR b. )ﬂ t˙wa Æbecome bigﬂ When an aspirated initial becomes the final of a preceding syllable, losing its own vowel, it also generally loses its aspiration. For example, when the word /t˚h˙/ Ædrink, eat (wet foods)ﬂ takes a directional prefix (as in an imperative), it becomes [s˙t˚]. Comparing the Ronghong forms with those of some of the more conservative Qiang dialects, such as the Mawo dialect (Sun 1981a), we can see that a similar type of weakening has occurred historically to preinitial consonants in Ronghong.
One cannot rest one's feet on it, or hang food there to grill. Most important is that one cannot spit in front of the potholder. When the Qiang drink barley wine or tea, or eat meals, an elderly person who is present has to perform the ritual of honoring the god of the fireplace, that is by dipping his finger or the drinking straw into the barley wine and splashing the wine into the fireplace. Every household has an altar in the corner of the main floor of the house facing the door. It is usually ornately carved, and its size reflects the financial status of the family.